Established in 1933, IMI is a Defence systems house, specializing in the development, integration, manufacturing, and life cycle support of modern land, air and naval combat systems. IMI's world class combat-proven systems are developed by vertically integrated expert teams, working in close cooperation with the customers, the most prominent being the Israel Defense Forces (IDF). IMI's products have been qualified with the IDF, US Military (Air Force, Army and Navy) and NATO nations.
Fully owned by the Israeli government, the company employs 3,200 personnel in five divisions. In 2008 the company generated annual turnover of $650 million, of which 60% was attributed to exports. In addition to the modern design and development shops, IMI operates production facilities, supported by advanced laboratories and test facilities accounting for 30% of the company's infrastructure. IMI's comprehensive support for its customers includes end-to-end product assistance, from training and integrated logistics, to maintenance, mid-life upgrades to the transfer of technology and know-how, affirming the clients complete independence.
Addressing the requirements of modern armed forces for advanced defense systems, IMI is focusing on specific market segments, where it is positioned among the world's best solution providers. These include armor protection and survivability, primarily for vehicular, personal applications and combat mobility, offering highly mobile and protected combat vehicles or upgrading programs for existing platforms. In the weapon department, IMI offers a comprehensive range of solutions, ranging from rockets and guided missiles, heavy aerial weapons, tank, artillery and infantry ammunition, advanced guided mortar and artillery rounds, to less-than-lethal and small caliber ammunition. IMI also offers integrated weapon systems, including rockets and defensive suites for aircraft and armored vehicles. For the battle against the global terror IMI offers anti-terror doctrine and training capabilities.
As prime contractor for weapon upgrading programs, IMI is operating in many countries, leading international and local industry teams on large scale weapons modernization projects. IMI have developed unique methodologies, based on extensive expertise in diverse fields, including upgrading of tanks and other armored fighting vehicles, up-armoring light vehicles, production and modernization of artillery systems, development of combat engineering equipment, new weapon systems for the infantry unit, and much more. IMI has established partnerships with leading international defense firms and integrators, sharing the risk and potential of large-scale projects in an effort to meet the customer's most pressing demands.
Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) Ltd. is one of the world's leaders, for the past 70 years, in the production and marketing of unrivalled combat proven small arms.
The company’s weapon systems include the innovative TAVOR family of Assault Rifles, the ultimate two caliber X95 (Assault Rifle & SMG), the reliable NEGEV Light Machine Gun family, the well-known GALIL Assault Rifle family, including our recent addition of the robust GALIL ACE family, the renowned GALIL SNIPER SA Rifle, the legendary UZI SMG (Mini, Micro and Uzi Pro) and the acclaimed JERICHO family of pistols.
All these firearms are combat proven and are weapons of choice of top military units and law enforcement agencies throughout the world.
The company’s firearms are developed in close collaboration with the Israel Defense Forces (IDF). IWI and IDF have established joint Research & Development (R&D) teams to develop these weapons, whose final configurations are the product of ongoing interaction, field tests and modifications resulting from combat requirements.
The intensive and constant use of IWI's products by IDF and worldwide, enables the company to design its products accordingly, optimizing, innovating, modifying and improving constantly its weapon's features by using modern technology.
All their weapon systems are in compliance with the most stringent military standards (MIL-STD) and ISO 9000 standards.
IWI is a member of SK Group, a leading global Defense and Security group of companies that includes Meprolight Ltd. (Electro-Optic systems), Pulse Inteco Systems Ltd. (Lasers and Night Vision systems), Camero-Tech Ltd. (Through-the-Wall sensing), Israel Shipyards Ltd. (Ship manufacturing and repair), Uni-scope Ltd. (Optical periscopes) and more.
Elbit Systems Ltd. is a defense electronics manufacturers and integrators. Established in 1967, and based in Haifa, Israel, Elbit employs 11,000 people worldwide.
Elbit Systems is traded on NASDAQ as well as on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange where it is a constitute of the TA-25 Index of leading shares; As of 2010, over 45% of its stock is owned or controlled by Michael Federmann, who serves as the company's Chairman of the Board.
Early years – A division within Elron
Elbit Systems was founded in 1966 by Elron Electronic Industries (TASE: ELRN), which combined the existing expertise within the Israel Ministry of Defense-Research Institute in special computer design with Elron's experience in electronic product design, manufacture and management (initially under the name Elbit Computers). Elbit steadily expanded developing and producing logistic-support weapon delivery and navigation systems for most Israeli aircraft, establishing a combat avionics package for the IAI Lavi fighter aircraft, and producing a fire-control system for the Merkava tank.
1996 IPO on NASDAQ
In 1996, Elbit spun off into three independent companies:
Elbit Medical Imaging NASDAQ: EMITF - During 1999 to 2000 Elscint (Another affiliate of Elron) and Elbit Medical Imaging sold their imaging activities to General Electric Medical Systems and to Picker (now part of Philips Medical Systems) for approximately $600 million.
Elbit Systems – Created as the defence electronics arm of Elbit, the company had an initial public offering on the NASDAQ stock market and finished its first day of trading at a price of $7.75 (on 25 August 2009 it reached an all time high of $70.69).
Elbit - which focused on communications activities and in 1999 led the consortium that founded Partner Communications Company Ltd., Israel's first GSM operator NASDAQ: PTNR. In 2002, Elbit was merged into Elron. Elron sold its shares in Partner during 2003-2006 for approximately $160 million.
Merger with El-Op
In 2000 Elbit Systems merged with El-Op (a company controlled by the current Chairman, Michael Federmann), creating the largest non governmental defense electronics company in Israel and increasing Elbit Systems' value which later in 2004 enabled Elron to sell its shares in Elbit Systems for approximately $200 million. Following the merger with El-Op, Michael Federmann became the largest shareholder in the combined group.
Growth by acquisition
Following the merger with El-Op, Michael Federmann and CEO Joseph Ackerman led an aggressive growth by acquisitions strategy. The company acquired companies, including:
* Elisra (70% ownership)
* Tadiran Communications
* Shiron Satellite Communications
* BVR Systems
* Assets of Israel Military Industries’ Aircraft Systems Division
* Innovative Concepts, Inc.
* Mikal Ltd (the company initially purchased 19% of the firm, and later agreed to acquire Mikal's 100% holdings in Soltam Systems and Saymar and the 87.85% portion of ITL held by Mikal, in exchange Mikal's owners received the 19% of Mikal that Elbit had purchased) Elbit subsequently announced a cash tender offer for the 12.15% remainder of ITL held by the public.
Products of Elbit:
* military aircraft and helicopter systems;
* helmet mounted systems;
* commercial aviation systems and aero structures;
* unmanned aircraft systems;
* naval systems;
* land vehicle systems;
* command, control, communications, computer and intelligence (C4I) systems;
* electro-optic and countermeasures systems;
* homeland security systems;
* electronic warfare (EW) and signal intelligence (SIGINT) systems; and
* various commercial activities.
Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd, designs, develops, manufactures and supplies a wide range of high-tech defense systems for air, land, sea and space applications.
Rafael was established as part of the Ministry of Defense more than 50 years ago and was incorporated in 2002. Currently, 7% of its sales are invested in R&D. Rafael's know-how is embedded in almost all Israel Defense Forces (IDF) systems in operation today. The company has a special relationship with the IDF, developing products according to the soldiers' specific requirements in the field. Rafael has also formed partnerships with civilian counterparts to develop commercial applications based on its proprietary technology.
Rafael is a steadily growing company with sales in 2011 exceeding $1,979M, backlog orders exceeding $3,465M, and net profits at a record level of $111M.
Rafael has created partnerships with companies in Israel and with leading aerospace and defense companies overseas. Offset activities and industrial cooperation have been organized with over 20 countries worldwide. Over the last decade, international business activities have been steadily expanding across the globe, with Rafael acting as either prime contractor or subcontractor, capitalizing on its strengths at both system and subsystem levels.
Rafael's highly skilled and dedicated workforce tackles complex projects, from initial development, through prototype, production and acceptance tests. It provides customer service and support, upgrading existing systems and offering turnkey projects involving the transfer of basic technologies or complete production facilities. Rafael current employs approximately 6,500 people.
Rafael's quality management system is certified to AS9100, ISO9001: 2008 and ISO 90003, ISO 17025, ISO 14001 ,OHSAS18001, and complies with CMM and CMMI (level 3).
Rafael aspires to strengthen its position even further in the international defense market, while maintaining its special contact with the IDF. It aims to enhance its acclaim as a world-class provider of quality defense products and excellent customer service. It will continue to predict the needs of future combat forces worldwide and provide the technologies and systems required by those forces.
Products of Rafael - Alphabetical List:
* Advanced Composite Structures
* ASPRO-H Hybrid Armor - Hybrid Add-On Armor Systems
* ASPRO-P Passive Armor - Passive Add-On Armor Systems
* BARAK - Naval Point Defense Missile System
* Blue Sparrow - 2nd Generation Medium Range Ballistic Target
* C4I-CONNECT - Converged IP Network
* CARPET - Mine Clearing and IED Detonation/Neutralization Sy
* Ceramic Composites
* C-GEM - Active Off-Board Decoy System
* C-PEARL DV - Compact Electronic Support Measures (ESM)
* C-PEARL-DV(S) - ESM/ELINT for Submarines
* DAFCO - Electro-Optical Fire Control System for Naval Guns
* DEEP-LINK - Low Probability of Intercept Acoustic Com. Network
* DERBY - Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile
* DIVEGUARD - Diver Distress Communicator
* DLV-52 - Airborne Wideband Datalink System
* DLV-53 - ISTAR Wideband Data Link
* Engineering, Plastics and Elastomers
* Fuzes and Safe & Arm Devices
* Global Link - Aerial Network Centric Capability
* GOLDEN BAY - Real Time Imagery Processing System
* Helicopter Missile System - SPIKE ER Helicopter Weapon System
* HOTSPUR - Counter-IED Solution
* IDS - INTEGRATED DECOY SYSTEM - Integrated Decoy Systems for Ship Protection
* ImiLite - Multi-Source, Multi-Task Imagery Exploitation Syst
* Imilite M - Imagery Exploitation Mobile System
* Iron Dome - Defense Against Short Range Artillery Rockets
* JAM-AIR - Electro-Optic Directional Jamming System
* LESCUT - Reactive Expendable Torpedo Decoy
* LIGHTLINK - Urban Non Line of Sight Communication
* LIMOR - Lightweight Modular Ladder
* Lite Shield - Close Protection EscortJamer Electronic Attack Pod
* LITENING - Airborne Targeting Pod
* MATADOR (RGW-90) AS - Shoulder Launched Anti-Structure Munition
* MATADOR (RGW-90) WB - Wall Breaching Stand-Off Munition
* MINI-TYPHOON - Naval Stabilized Machine Gun System
* Optical Components - Advanced Optical Components
* PERSONAL BALLISTIC PROTECTION - Boron Carbide Ballistic Tiles
* Plastic Explosives
* POPEYE - Air-to-Surface Standoff Missile
* Propellant Tanks
* Propulsion Valves
* PROTECTOR - Unmanned Naval Patrol Vehicle
* PYTHON 5 - Full Sphere IR Air-to-Air Missile
* Radomes & Polarizers
* RAN-1196 - Airborne Tactical Data Network
* RAVNET-300 - Airborne Voice & Data Radio Network
* RECCELITE - Tactical Reconnaissance Pod
* Recce-U - Real-Time ISR System for UAVs
* Rocket Motors
* SAMSON RWS Family - Remote Weapon Stations for Armored Vehicles
* Satellite Propulsion Thrusters
* SCUTTER - Reactive Expendable Acoustic Torpedo Decoy
* SEA SPOTTER - E/O Naval Staring, Detection and Tracking System
* SEA-COM - Full Naval Communication System
* Sentry-Tech - Stationary Remote Controlled Weapon Station
* SEWS - Shipborne Integrated Electronic Warfare
* SHADE - Torpedo Defense Suite for Submarines
* SIMON - Door Breaching Rifle Grenade
* SKY SHIELD - Airborne Support Jammer
* Sparrow - Family of Surrogate Ballistic Targets
* SPICE - Precision Weapon Guidance Kit
* SPIKE - Family of Multi-Purpose, Tactical Missiles
* SPIKE ER - Extended Range Multi-Purpose Missile
* SPIKE LR - Long Range Multi-Purpose Tactical Missile
* SPIKE MR - Medium Range Multi-Purpose Tactical Missile
* SPIKE NLOS - Spike NLOS Electro Optic Guided Missile
* SPIKE Trainer - Anti-Tank Missile Trainer
* SPOTLITE M - Mobile Electro-Optic Fire Detection System
* SPOTLITE-P - Electro-optic small arms fire detection system
* SPYDER ADS-MR - Medium Range Air Defense Missile System
* SPYDER ADS-SR - Short Range Air Defense System
* STALKER - Mobile ISTAR System
* STUNNER - STUNNER - Terminal Missile Defense Interceptor
* SUBSCUT - Reactive Expendable Torpedo Decoy
* TACMAX - Tactical Broadband Network for Ground Forces
* Terra Sonic - Pipeline Integrity Monitoring System
* Thermal Batteries
* Thermal Protection - Advanced Thermal Protection Components & active fi
* THOR - Stand-Off Defeat of Explosive Hazards Counter-IED
* TOPLITE - Multi-Sensor Optronic Payload
* TOP-SCAN - Airborne ELINT/ESM System
* TORBUSTER - Hard Kill Torpedo Defense
* Trophy - Active Protection System for AFVs
* TYPHOON - Naval Stabilized Weapon Station
* WIZARD - Wideband Zapping Advanced Radar Decoy
* X-GUARD - RF Fiber-Optic Towed Decoy